1. What is a building designer?
Building designers generally come from a broad range of backgrounds and have varying skill levels, depending on their level of experience and qualifications. Most building designers devise their own designs, plans, and documentations similar to most architectural firms. If you wish to learn more about this refer to the BDA website.
2. How do you factor energy efficiency into a home design?
There are many factors we consider to improve the energy efficiency of a home design. Whether we are designing a home from scratch, renovating or extending, we will always start by considering the aspect of the land and position of the building on the site with a view to maximising light and natural airflow while minimising excessive heat and cold.
Other factors to consider when designing a building to maximise energy efficiency include (but are not limited to):
- Position, type and insulated glazing
- Thermal mass
- Passive solar design
- Low energy consumption, i.e solar power and heating
- Water tanks, self-supporting
- Grey water recycling
- Low maintenance materials
- Recycling materials where possible
- Minimising waste
- Natural ventilation/cooling